Xi'an - Day 3 (cont.)

posted under by lhnkhang
City Wall: the 13.7km circuit

071019-CityWall1
In front of Southern Gate

I went to the South Gate of City Wall at 3:00pm. I stayed at the southern side of the city, and books keep telling that Southern Gate is the best way to start. Moreover, even locals never wander near the train station except when they really need, and the the train station is at the Northern gate.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

if you ever wonder how deep...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

...and how high the wall is...


This wall is the best preserved and the widest wall in China. After renting a bicycle for 20RMB for 100 minutes, and 5 more RMB for every 30 minutes thereafter, I started to go to the west.

P1100876

P1100867

the starting point


Normally it takes 60 minutes to cycle around the wall, but I was not there to challenge any record. I stopped at every gate along the wall (it has 16 gates), chatting with people, asking them for taking my photos (I did not bring my tripod with me this trip), taking photos at every part of the city along the wall. Some parts of the city are modernized, some parts are preserved with an ancient look, naturally or artificially. Most parts are still old, poor, damaged, unpreserved, and most people are living in old apartments.

071019-CityWall5

Symmetry

071019-CityWall12

Construction in progress



071019-CityWall18
Outside of the wall

071019-CityWall22
At one corner

071019-CityWall25
One part

071019-CityWall35
Xi'an train station, looking from the wall

071019-CityWall36
Another corner

071019-CityWall39
Yet another corner of the wall

Cycling on top of the City Wall is an amazing experience. But if you are in a hurry, riding in high speed is uncomfortable. The road is not cemented but was tiled with bricks that make the surface rough. When I came back to the starting points, it was 6:00pm.

Air

P1110073

When I first arrived at the train station, I saw a lot of fog. My friend told me that it was not fog but smoke, and dust. I hardly believed him, as I thought the weather was cold, it was easy to have fog.

2 days later, I knew he was right. Not only Xi’an but also all cities in China are covered by this compound of “smoke, dust and maybe fog” to produce something that covers the air. The city is heavily polluted. My 3 hours on top of the wall coated me a layer of dust even when I tried to focus with my camera, it focused to the layer of dust on the lens cover.

0 comments

Make A Comment
top