Xi'an - Day 2

posted under by lhnkhang
Waking up at 6:30, I knew that I had not enough time to go to Xi’an Jiaotong University in early morning to take some fresh photos. Wearing like a moron, as I usually do, I went straight to Nan Yang Hotel. It was really cold this morning, as cold as last night. I had a Western-like breakfast. My mood was the same as last night. Next I went to the conference room, stayed there for 4 straight hours, listened to some speeches while sleeping as if I was attending some lectures in NUS…




Time goes by… so slowly… and suddenly it was lunch time. I had a late chat with the Taiwanese professor, then a student from Xi’an Jiaotong. Took some photos with the long banner in front of the hotel. Learnt that I couldn’t book the train that I had planned to go. I had to choose another train. My plan shuffled. Anyway, things were resolved, I had a backup plan.

Tried to access to the internet, but couldn’t. The hotel was covered by “China Mobile Network”, which required an account to log in and unfortunately I don’t have. That was the moment I really wanted to go online for a couple of minutes, to say hello to my wife, to tell her I’m ok here. I missed her.

Dragged myself to one of the conference room to look for my friend, my savior. Stayed there for some talks, we disappeared together as he had a shopping plan with his girl friend, and I joined him.

Then the fun began.

First he passed by Shănxi History Museum to pick up his girl friend. “If you visit one museum in China, make it this one, for its unrivaled collection of treasures – c.f. Frommer’s”. Fine! I will visit it tomorrow morning. On the way to the Museum, about 300m away, it’s the Great Goose Pagoda. This is the best known temple in Xi’an, and worth a visit. This is the place that Xuánzàng housed the scriptures. (Xuánzàng: the master of the Monkey King in Journey to the West).

071018-CityWall3-crop

071018-CityWall2-crop
Southern Gate

071018-XianByNight5

071018-XianByNight6
Ancient corner

Then we went to the Southern Gate of the City Wall. It’s the biggest Gate of the city. Going through the gate took us to an artificially ancient corner, which houses restaurant, KTV and shops. That was the perfect impression to any visitor about the ancient capital of China, especially by the effect of lights and under the darkness of the sky.

P1100420-crop P1100471-crop
Bell and Drum Towers

We headed to the Bell Tower by walking over the seemingly Orchard-road of Xi’an. This is another face of Xi’an, which is modernized, active and of course, crowded. The Bell Tower is 300 meters away from its brother, the Drum Tower. Along with the city wall, they were once the statues of the city, one to wake the city up, another to close a working day.

We arrived at out shopping destination: Islamic street. This street is considered the busiest antique street that also serves many authentic Xi'an cuisines.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

0 comments

Make A Comment
top